Values vs Goals
Values are different from Goals.
Put crudely, goals can be achieved whereas values are more like directions that we want to head in.
- We might have the value of being a good parent which may require a lifetimes‘s effort, and the specific achievable goal of getting our children to school on time.
- Or we might have the goal of going for a jog while placing value upon our physical health.
The domains below are valued by some people.
There might be values you think are important, and others that don’t matter so much to you.
There are no ‘right’ answers. Read the descriptions and think about what makes for a meaningful life that you could value.
- What kind of husband / wife / partner do you want to be? What sort of partnership do you want to build? What kind of person do you want to be in a relationship?
- What sort of parent do you want to be? What kind of relationships do you want to build with them?
- What sort of friend do you want to be?
- What kind of work is valuable to you? What kind of work matters to you?
- How would you like to grow as a person? What kind of skills would you like to develop?
- How would you like to enjoy yourself? What relaxes you? When are you most playful?
- What kind of environment do you want to be a part of? What kind of citizen would you like to be?
- What kind of values do you have regarding your physical wellbeing? How important to you is your health? How do you want to look after yourself?
- What kind of relationships do you want to have with your family? What sort of brother / sister / mother / father / aunt / uncle / neice / nephew do you want to be?
Food for Thought……Sometimes it isn’t always clear which values you want to live your life by……. Sorting through this can help you achieve a life you feel good about.